TheBestGear.org is reader supported and uses affiliate links. Please read our affiliate disclaimer.
The Nitecore LA10 CRI is a compact, AA lantern/flashlight that’s largely intended for camping or illuminating an area with a 360 degree diffusion pattern.
- LED: Nichia 219b (high CRI, > 90)
- Weight: 42.7g (1.5oz)
- Length: 78.5mm (3.1″)
- Batteries supported: AA alkaline, NiMH, lithium. Does not support 14500 batteries.
At the size of roughly a small lipstick applicator, the Nitecore LA10 is a nice little compact light that will light a room or tent without the need for a separate diffuser. Weighing in at around 1.5oz (without battery), it’s easy to toss in a backpack and not worry about the extra weight.
The diffuser extends by twisting the body of the device, and extends out a couple of inches depending on your preference. The light contains 3 different brightness modes:
- 9 lumens / 23 hrs
- 30 lumens / 6 hrs
- 85 lumens / 1.5 hrs
To toggle the brightness, you do a small twist of the tail cap, where it will cycle between the three modes. Twist to change modes isn’t my favorite way to operate a light, but given the compactness of this model it is acceptable.
- One of the very few small camping lights that use a good LED and AA battery
- High CRI which is very hard to find
- Magnetic tail cap would be good for automotive repair use, or a lanyard to hang
- IPX6 waterproof
Could be improved
- Would have preferred a lower temperature light, particularly for night use. The temperature isn’t listed but appears to be around 5000k or cooler
- Would also like a lower lumen mode for camping use: 9 lumens is still quite bright at night. Would like to have seen a 1-3 lumen mode.
- Different interface for changing modes